I wonder sometimes how the spirit in me recognizes the spirit in other members of my tribe. I meet a lot of people, but sometimes my spirit, or my heart, or my divine light recognizes a kindred soul. I am lucky to be a member of many awesome “tribes” – groups of people who impact me on a deep, soul level. One of these tribes consists of three women with an almost 40 year age span and two dogs with more than a 50 pound weight span. For obvious reasons, we call ourselves the 14 legs group. This fall, after being away all summer, it was when my dog and I ran into the other eight legs that I took a deep breath in, exhaled and realized I was home. Here are some of the many reasons why this tribe is awesome. Interestingly, none of these reasons is overly complex or magical, but they create something unique and wonderful.
- We listen. We really listen to each other and consider deeply the topic at hand – sometimes that topic is our health or our relationships and sometimes it is the consistency of the dog’s poop. Any subject is given serious consideration.
- We laugh. We laugh at each other, with each other, about our respective foibles, about the dogs, and sometimes just because we are happy to be together. The more obscure the reference (they are both college professors) the funnier it is.
- We care for each other and our selves. There are no rules or expectations about whether or not we walk together and how participative we are when we are together. We each do what we need to do for ourselves at that particular point in time. At the same time, we look out for and care for each other.
- We enjoy the moment. The dogs teach us a lot about how to be in the moment and also give us much joy. When we stop to pay attention to the dogs, it is not clear which of the five of us is most content. (Tips on ways to reduce stress without a dog http://www.sensualappealblog.com/minimize-stress-3-minutes-day/)
- Cherish health. All three of us have or have had significant health challenges. I think we all celebrate that we can walk and enjoy the outdoors. Sometimes the walk can’t be as far or as fast, but it happens and that’s what matters. (Some tips on staying healthy – http://www.sensualappealblog.com/avoid-toxins-maximum-health/)
- Be Aware and Be Safe. Unfortunately, we have also had to learn that not everyone is friendly and we need to be aware of our surroundings and potential risks to our safety.
These awesome women have taught me a lot and bring me much joy. It is a tribe that was created serendipitously and there is little rhyme or reason for why we have such a deep connection. For me, the lesson is to trust my divine light, my spirit, in choosing tribe members. People are rarely exactly what they seem at first glance and, when we allow the divine light in us to honor the divine light in others, it yields the most unexpected gifts.