Hello friends, happy marvelous Monday to you all! Thank you for the beautiful Katie for hosting MIMM
It’s marvelous to have been catching up with my friends I haven’t talked to in a while. I saw a lot of friends over the past few weeks that I’ve missed and I’m happy that this summer is proving to be super fun, eventful, and beautiful (in terms of weather). This weeke was also Pride Week 2012 and my friend and I went over to the Boystown neighborhood in Chicago to support our gay friends. We didn’t stay at the parade long and went straight to Wrigleyville for some day partying which I’ve missed so much.
This song is marvelous and I’ve been lovin’ it the past 2 months and I’m still not over it. I absolutely suck at genre-naming but I guess I’ve totally shifted towards the whole chill indie music over the past year. I used to listen to house all the time and now the only time I really listen to house is when I’m working at the club. On my own, I’m like this chill machine that listens to the calmest music. Strangely, Jango thinks that City and Colour is similar to some crazy rock songs and my City and Colour station is randomly intertwined with screamo, crazy indie hip hop, and then chill indie. It’s one confusing station. I have to click the thumbs down button quite a bit when I listen to it, haha.
Another marvelous thing that has happened recently is that I’ve completed the ChaLEAN Extreme program! So I think it’s a perfect opportunity to talk about how marvelous this program was and what my overall opinions of it were. Personally, I loved this program. I love Chalean Johnson – she rocks! She is very motivational and not throughout the whole 5 months was she annoying or boring. Never have I thought to myself “Oh God, Chelean, just SHUT UP already.” Nope. Which says a lot considering she’s been the first person I’d see every day (almost) for the past 5 months.
Why 5 months? Well, the program is 3 months long. I first started and after month 2 I got sick with a nasty cold and I decided to start the program all over again without taking such long hiatuses. What did I think of the program? I loved it. The program is split up into three sections, one month each – the Burn month in which you use lighter weights (but still heavy enough to reach failure by the 12th rep); Push month in which you use heavy weights (so that you can reach fatigue by the 8th rep); and Lean month which is similar to Burn month except the moves are much more complex and you work on two body parts at the same time in one exercise. My favorite was the Lean month because it was the most challenging but I also noticed the most change in my body and strength.
- Workouts are short — usually ~40 minutes
- Program comes with a light resistance band and a thigh toner
- Exercises change every month so that you don’t get bored and continue confusing your muscles
- There are three different weight training circuits per week, one cardio/endurance interval circuit, one cardio interval circuit, one yoga, and one ab circuit.
- Chalean is fun and motivational and really helps you get through the workouts
- The program is focused on building muscle (which made me really love strength training and that’s all I wanna do now
- Chalean goes through each exercise well for the participant to truly understand how to keep her form correct
- The program is mostly focused on women (but not just for women! She always has one guy doing the workouts with her)
- You are able to use resistance bands if you don’t want to use weights
- The price is pretty high at ~$120
- You need a big variety of weights for the exercises (if you choose to use those)
- You need to buy additional resistance bands (if you choose to use those)
Honestly, the pros clearly outweigh the cons and I most definitely will do the program again in the future. Since the beginning of the program (in January), I’ve lost 10 lbs and gained a considerable amount of muscle but I didn’t check my body fat % or didn’t take my measurements so I don’t know how much I’ve lost but people say that I do look smaller and I have muscles in my biceps where I’ve NEVER had arm muscle before. Not ever. Not even after I completed P90x three years ago (but then again, I could have tried harder at p90x). So yeah, I definitely recommend the program! One thing I could have done better was stick to the diet plan instead of doing my own thing and making sure I’m always within the right calorie range, then I would have probably lost more weight. Oh well.
I am currently in my first week of Flavia Del Monte’s Curvalicious program which is another 12 week program focused on weight training and I already LOVE it. Actually, I like it more than Chalean simply because I needed a break from the DVDs and I wanted to do stuff more on my own. I have been super sore every since I started. I’ll do a review after the first month, perhaps.