The following post is sponsored by Fitfluential LLC on behalf of Nutrex Hawaii.
What is Spirulina? This is a question I have been wondering about for a while now.
While I knew it’s supposed to be super good for you, I never actually got the motivation to look it up. Lazy? No. Forgetful? Perhaps. I was thrilled when I finally got the opportunity to actually try spirulina and learn a little bit more about it.
What is Spirulina?
Spirulina is a dark green algae that grows on the surface of lakes. Many medical doctors, scientists, and nutrition experts consider it to be one of the world’s most powerful superfoods! Ancient Aztecs used to skim spirulina algae off the surface of lakes and dry it into cakes which serves as an important source of nutrients.
Spirulina is amazingly high in protein – 60-65% protein! In comparison, meat and fish products are between 15-35% protein and beans re 6-11%. Spirulina is highly absorbable, far more than animal protein is. It also contains all 8 essential amino acids.
What are the health benefits of Spirulina?
- contains GLA essential fatty acid which has amazing anti-inflammatory properties especially when taken with other quality Omega-3 supplements
- contains Omega-3s, -6s, and -9s and is especially high in -3s.
- contains chlorophyll which helps remove toxins from the blood and boost the immune system
- the very high concentration of bio-available iron makes it excellent during pregnancy and for those with anemia and will not cause constipation
- incredibly high in calcium making it great for children, the elderly, and during pregnancy
- may be helpful with allergies and allergic reactions
- can increase fat burning during exercise
- contains many other nutrients such as: vitamins B-1 (thiamine), B-2 (riboflavin), B-3 (nicotinamide), B-6 (pyridoxine), B-9 (folic acid), vitamin C, vitamin D, vitamin A and vitamin E. It is also a source of potassium, chromium, copper, magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, selenium, sodium, and zinc.
How to take Spirulina?
You can take it in a powder form or as pills. A great brand, which allowed me to try their Spirulina products and Hawaiian Astaxanthin (great for joint health!) is Nutrex Hawaii! I have been taking both pills daily and planning on starting to incorporate the powder into some smoothies instead of always taking the pills! Ahhh, I am kind of excited for this. These nutritional stats are WAY impressive, wouldn’t you say? I mean – I am pretty amazed! I’m expecting to feel like superwoman in a few weeks after taking it 😉
How do the pills look like? Well, they are not very pleasant in taste and you have to take 6 of them. Since I want to prolong the time I use it, I only take 5. They are easy to swallow and they are best if taken with food. I take those with the Hawaiian Astaxanthin after breakfast that contained some fat in it.
I guess only time will tell how I like them But I’m liking them so far! Thank you so much for Nutrex Hawaii for letting me try them!
Want to try for yourself? Use discount code FFSUMMER13 for 25% off – valid until 7/31/13.
Kammie wants to know:
- Have you ever tried Spirulina?
- What are you favorite ways to incoporate Spirulina into your life?
Let me know in the comments below!