Point me to a healthy living blogger who isn’t taken with almond milk…
I don’t think I’ve met one healthy living blogger who dislikes it. Why? Because almond milk is amazing! And you don’t have to be vegan to enjoy this non-dairy milk and reap its awesome benefits. I started drinking non-dairy milks in high school and that was before I even knew what veganism was.
A while back I posted an article after learning about carrageenan and how horrible it is for you. I also attached a list of products that occur in carrageenan, many of which are natural and organic. I had to ditch my favorite almond milk because it contained the ingredients and I wasn’t going to expose myself to that. Thankfully, I found other brands of almond milk which do not contain the yucky ingredient, one of which is the Silk Almond Milk.
1. The main reason why I stopped drinking dairy milk is because it is high in sugar and calories. Drinking skim milk isn’t the best option either although less caloric, it contains more sugars. The beautiful thing about almond milk is that you can buy it unsweetened and it still tastes great (I only buy unsweetened) and it is more than 50% lower in calories than skim milk. It’s a dieter’s dream.
2. So you might think that since almond milk is lower in calories and sugar, it must taste bad. But it’s quite the opposite. I prefer the flavor and the smoothness of almond milk. It tastes great. I use it in everything: cereal, baking, cooking, you name it. I haven’t bought any dairy milk in almost 6 years.
3. Another reason why almond milk is superior? It is lactose-free which makes it easier to digest. Most people are lactose sensitive and they may not even know it. Why risk it when you have a perfectly good alternative available?
4. A reason that many of us college students and other busy individuals may appreciate – it is often cheaper than regular milk and it lasts longer! Granted, you should drink it within 7-10 days after opening and keep it in the fridge, however before you open it tends to last a lot longer than dairy milk, which makes it that much cooler. You can then easily stock up and save money rather than going to the store so often and spending more on dairy milk that’s pricier and not nearly as good for you!
If all of that isn’t enough for you to switch to almond milk, here are some more facts:
5. Almond milk offers the benefit of not having any cholesterol, saturated fat or sodium, while skim milk does have at least 5 mg of cholesterol and 130mg of sodium.
6. For the raw foodists, almond milk is the better choice as it doesn’t need to be heated or cooked, unlike cow’s milk.
7. For diabetics, almond milk provides a better choice than skim milk, as skim milk has more carbohydrates.
Still not convinced? Take a look at Silk’s facebook page where many bloggers have submitted their wonderful recipes using none other than Silk Almond milk. Do it!
Kammie wants to know:
What’s your favorite non-dairy milk?
What’s your favorite thing to use almond milk for?
Let me know in the comments below!
Disclosure: FitFluential LLC compensated me for this Campaign.All opinions are my own;