We have been socially conditioned to be weary of the words Money and Love in the same sentence. To say Money stirs up a strong internal reaction in us is an understatement of a lifetime. There is perhaps no other subject (besides sex) that brings up crazy emotions in us.
We want it. But we don’t want to talk about it.
We secretly love it. But we don’t want to be judged for it.
We need it. But we behave as if we don’t.
Money is neutral. It only has the meaning you give to it. You are the master. It is a tool in your hand. What makes it good or bad are your feelings and actions towards it. That’s it. Plain and simple.
Money is an important and permanent part of our lives on this planet. We as humans have agreed on having it as a way to exchange value.
So why not make it fun and sexy? Why not have a love affair with it while we’re at it.
Think about the last time you fell in love. Oh how delicious!! You just couldn’t get enough of the person.
You wanted them. You wanted to be around them. You felt giddy. Everything looked better, tasted better, smelled better. You smiled for no apparent reason. But you didn’t care.
Now think of money. Everyone wants more money. Yet our actions contradict our desire on a daily basis. No wonder we don’t hold onto money. Money goes where it is wanted!!! Not where it’s feared or shunned.
I want you to have lots and lots of money. So you can enjoy it, save it, give it, share it, make the world a better place with it, give your kids a better future with it, help the planet with it. And whatever you damn well please with it.
Think about your feelings, behaviour and actions when you are in love with someone. Now let’s substitute them with the word “money”.
Go on! Have a grand love affair with money.
Here is how:
1. Feel excited about your money. When you receive your paycheque, or someone buys you a coffee or dinner, there is monetary value in it. Allow yourself to feel excited and grateful for those gifts. That’s what they are.
2. Care about money. Show appreciation. Don’t take it for granted. Treat it with respect. Use it with respect.
3. Be attentive towards money. Know what you make, what you spend, how you spend it.
4. Enjoy money. Set aside a percentage of your income as “play money”. Have fun with it without feeling guilty.
5. Take it to the next level. Decide on your financial goals around income and savings. Make a plan to realize those goals
6. Be in flow, in tune with money…like music and dance. Be in harmony with it. Know that you are fully equipped to take care of yourself financially.
7. Have fun together. Enjoy finding ways to earn more and save more. Managing money can be fun.
8. Be proud of your financial standing. Never apologize for having or wanting money.
9. Feel passionate about money. To be passionate about money is to be passionate about work. Your work is how you serve the world. The money is how you’re rewarded for your services.
10. Protect your money. You spend 40-50 hours every week earning it. Spend a few minutes to make sure your assets are protected from mindless spending.
11. Dream with it. What are your hopes, dreams and aspirations? Do you dream of starting a business, buying a home, taking your family on vacation? Save for it.
12. Plan for your brilliant future together. Where do you want to be financially in 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? Lay out your financial plan. If you don’t know what you want, you can’t get there.
13. Become one. Money is energy. To bring more of this energy into your life, give more value. It’s a simple exchange mechanism. The more you give, the more you get. It’s all intertwined. Find ways to become a real value to the world.
14. Feel confident. You are in charge. It’s yours. Have your way with it.
15. Sing it baby! Stand in front of your mirror. Go on. Strut your stuff and sing…”You sexy thing, I think I love you.” 🙂