Today I made a trip to Starfruit Cafe, a local frozen kefir chain in Chicago. It’s my favorite frozen treat place, I am pretty much a regular and they know me by name there haha, that’s how often I go there. The only reason is because I love love love kefir. Frozen kefir especially. It tastes like frozen yogurt but is so much healthier. I consider frozen kefir a meal, because of how nutritious it is and high in protein, while I consider frozen yogurt a dessert because it is usually higher in sugar and much lower in protein. I like kefir so much I even did an advertising project on Starfruit Cafe last semester which allowed me to learn quite a bit about kefir’s benefits. And there are many!
So what are those wonderful properties of kefir, you might ask? Well, let’s do a quick overview!
So what is kefir? Kefir is a bubbly drink which has been fermented with kefir grains. It has been discovered by ancient shepherds who accidentally realized that carrying fresh milk in leather pouches turned it into a bubbly beverage.
What are the benefits of kefir?
- Kefir contains 10 live probiotic cultures (yogurt usually have only 2-3). These healthy bacteria are the reason why kefir is considered healthier than yogurt.
- It is delicious and comes in a large variety of flavors and types.
- Good source of protein, calcium, potassium.
- It is gluten-free
- It’s a brain-food and helps break free from stress.
- It has been used to help patients with cancer, AIDS, ADHD, depression.
- Lower cholesterol
- Promote weight loss
- May help people with ADHD, depression, sleep disorders
- Fight lactose-intolerance
- Help regulate the body while on antibiotics
- Help relieve the body of intestinal disorders
- Promote bowel movements
- Nourishes your hair, treats gum diseases and strengthens your bones.
Kammie wants to know:
Have you ever tried kefir?
What is your favorite flavor of kefir or yogurt?
Let me know in the comments below!
Sensual Appeal Blog may collect a share of sales or other compensation from the links on this page.